Why do You Need a Tooth Extraction Houston?
Most people want to preserve their teeth for a lifetime. However, tooth extraction often becomes necessary to ensure overall oral health. Various reasons make tooth extraction in adulthood necessary. The following are some of the most common reasons why you may need a tooth extraction Houston:
- Severe Damage: You may need a tooth extraction Houston if the tooth is severely damaged or decayed. This can often happen due to physical trauma or accidents, such as sporting injuries, falls, or car accidents. If the dental fracture or damage extends under the gum line, tooth extraction might be necessary.
- Overcrowded Teeth: In some cases, tooth extraction is necessary for orthodontics. If your jaw can’t accommodate all the permanent teeth, some of them will be crooked and misaligned, which leads to severe health and cosmetic concerns. Tooth extraction might be necessary to straighten your teeth.
- Impacted Wisdom Teeth: The wisdom teeth, also known as the third molars, are the final teeth to erupt from your gums. However, the wisdom teeth often get stuck in the jaws or don’t erupt properly, affecting the surrounding gum tissues and teeth. In these cases, wisdom tooth removal is necessary to preserve overall oral health.
- Bacterial Infection: Untreated bacterial infection, which usually starts as cavities, may eventually require tooth extraction. At the initial stage, a bacterial infection starts as a dental cavity on the surface of your teeth. As the infection continues, the bacteria infect the pulp chamber and root structures of your teeth, leading to severe decay.
- Periodontal Disease: Also known as periodontitis, this particular disease leads to severe infections of the gum tissues, bone tissues, and the surrounding teeth. If the gums are severely inflamed and receded, your tooth may become loose and need to be removed.
What happens during the tooth extraction Houston?
The tooth extraction procedure can be simple or surgical, depending on the condition of your tooth.
- A simple extraction is performed under local anesthesia. The dentist numbs the regions around the affected tooth, so you don’t feel any pain and discomfort. The dentist uses a tool called an elevator to dislodge, loosen, and remove the tooth.
- Surgical extraction is performed under local anesthesia and intravenous anesthesia. The dentist or surgeon creates an incision on the gums to access the underlying bone structures. They cut the bone tissues to loosen the tooth and remove it.
What’s recovery from a tooth extraction like?
- Use ice packs to reduce the swelling on your cheeks after the extraction.
- Bite down on an antiseptic gauze for 3 to 4 hours to reduce bleeding.
- Take over-the-counter painkillers to manage the pain and discomfort.
- Relax for about 24 hours.
- Don’t use straws for about 24 hours because the suction force might dislodge the blood clot.
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t rinse your mouth for 24 hours because it might dislodge the blood clot.
- Keep your head elevated on pillows when you lie down.
- Don’t brush around the extraction site for a few days.
- Eat yogurt, ice cream, and other soft and cold foods.
How can cosmetic dentistry improve your smile?
Cosmetic dentistry improves your smile, confidence, and general quality of life. Cosmetic issues, such as misaligned teeth, crooked teeth, discoloration, stains, cracks, etc., make people self-conscious about their teeth. People who aren’t happy about their teeth are more likely to smile through pursed lips or hide their teeth. Some people even avoid conversations because they’re self-conscious about their teeth. Over time, the lack of smiling and openness affects your mental health and general confidence.
Cosmetic dentistry services improve your overall cosmetic appearance, addressing stains, discoloration, cracks, and other such concerns. Essentially, they make you feel proud of your teeth, which, in turn, makes you smile confidently. You don’t have to worry about hiding your teeth or smiling through pursed lips. Not only does your smile look more beautiful, but you can also laugh more openly. As such, cosmetic dentistry procedures make you more confident and approachable, which, in turn, improves your mental health and general quality of life.
What are the 5 most famous cosmetic dentistry procedures?
- Teeth Whitening: Professional teeth whitening is an in-office and outpatient procedure that brightens your smile. If you have extrinsically stained or yellowed teeth, i.e., discolored teeth due to years of accumulated stains in your enamel, you’re a suitable candidate for teeth whitening. The procedure involves applying a bleaching gel over the teeth and using a special curing light to activate its properties. The whitening gel removes the stains from your teeth, brightening your smile by up to eight shades.
- Bonding: Bonding is a procedure wherein composite resin material is attached to the front surface of your teeth to hide surface anomalies. It’s the ideal procedure for people with slight stains or chips on the teeth.
- Dental Veneers: Dental veneers are thin wafers of tooth-shaped porcelain attached to the front face of the teeth. They address your teeth’ shape, size, and shade to give you a perfect smile.
- Invisalign: Invisalign treatment involves wearing clear and transparent aligners that gradually push your teeth to ensure optimal alignment. It’s the best treatment for misaligned or crooked teeth because you don’t have to wear visible metallic brackets.
- Crowns: Crowns are porcelain caps attached over your existing teeth to protect them or cover up surface anomalies, like discoloration, chips, cracks, etc.
How to find the best and professional dentist near me?
URBN Dental is one of the most reputable dental clinics for family and cosmetic dentistry services in Houston, TX. We have incredibly talented and compassionate cosmetic dentists who carefully examine your teeth to curate the ideal treatment plan. You may schedule an appointment online.