In This Article
If you have one or more missing teeth, you might be facing difficulties while chewing or speaking, not to mention the impact on your smile’s aesthetics. At URBN Dental, we understand the importance of restoring your chewing function and smile. Dental bridges are a highly effective tooth replacement option, and in this article, we’ll delve into what dental bridges are, the dental bridge procedure, types of dental bridges, their benefits, and more. With multiple convenient locations across Houston, including Uptown, Midtown, Montrose, City Center, Katy, East River, and Houston Heights, URBN Dental is here to provide you with top-notch dental care. Let’s explore how dental bridges can transform your oral health.
Understanding Dental Bridges
Dental bridges are dental restorations designed to replace missing teeth by “bridging” the gap between natural teeth or dental implants. These restorations consist of artificial teeth (pontics) that are held in place by dental crowns attached to the adjacent healthy teeth or dental implants. The bridge helps maintain the alignment of your remaining teeth and prevents them from shifting, which could lead to oral health issues.
The Dental Bridge Procedure
At URBN Dental, the dental bridge procedure begins with a comprehensive examination of your oral health, including X-rays and impressions. This allows our skilled dentists to create a customized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
- Preparation: To prepare for a dental bridge, the adjacent teeth on either side of the gap are gently reshaped to make room for the dental crowns that will support the artificial tooth. If dental implants are used, they are surgically placed in the jawbone. This step ensures a stable foundation for the dental bridge.
- Impression: An impression of your teeth is taken to ensure a precise fit for your dental bridge. This impression is sent to a dental laboratory where skilled technicians craft your customized dental bridge. The use of advanced technology and materials in our dental laboratory ensures the bridge’s accuracy and optimal aesthetics.
- Temporary Bridge: While your permanent bridge is being fabricated, a temporary bridge will be placed to protect the exposed teeth and improve your aesthetics and chewing ability. The temporary bridge is designed to be a functional and aesthetic placeholder until the final restoration is ready.
- Fitting: Once your permanent dental bridge is ready, you’ll return to our dental office for its placement. Our dentists will ensure that the bridge fits comfortably and that your bite is aligned properly. We pay meticulous attention to detail during this step to ensure the best possible outcome.
- Final Placement: The permanent dental bridge is cemented or attached securely to the adjacent teeth or dental implants, completing the restoration. Our dental team carefully checks the fit and aesthetics of the bridge before finalizing the procedure.
Types of Dental Bridges
Traditional Dental Bridges
These are the most common type of dental bridges and involve dental crowns placed on the adjacent teeth or dental implants with the artificial tooth suspended between them. Traditional dental bridges are ideal when you have natural teeth on both sides of the gap. They offer excellent stability and durability.
Cantilever Dental Bridges
Cantilever bridges are similar to traditional bridges, but they are used when there’s only one adjacent tooth next to the gap. The artificial tooth is supported by a dental crown on a single adjacent tooth. Cantilever bridges are commonly used for patients who have only one natural tooth next to the space where the bridge is needed. A Cantilever bridge is only suitable for some patients.
Maryland Dental Bridges
Also known as resin-bonded bridges, Maryland bridges use a metal or porcelain framework that is bonded to the back of the adjacent teeth. This type of bridge is a conservative option suitable for replacing front teeth. Maryland bridges preserve the structure of adjacent teeth since they do not require extensive reshaping.
Implant-Supported Dental Bridges
These bridges are anchored to dental implants surgically placed in the jawbone. Implant-supported bridges are highly stable and offer a permanent solution for multiple missing teeth. They provide excellent chewing function and can last a lifetime with proper care.
Benefits of Dental Bridges:
- Restoring Chewing Function: Dental bridges allow you to chew and eat normally, improving your overall nutrition and health. With restored chewing ability, you can enjoy a wider variety of foods, leading to a healthier diet.
- Enhancing Aesthetics: Bridges fill the gap left by missing teeth, enhancing your smile’s appearance and boosting your self-confidence. With a complete smile, you can feel more comfortable in social situations and show off your beautiful teeth.
- Maintaining Facial Structure: Missing teeth can cause facial sagging, but dental bridges help support your facial structure and prevent premature aging. The bridge maintains the natural contours of your face, giving you a youthful appearance.
- Preventing Teeth Shifting: Dental bridges keep your remaining teeth in their proper positions, preventing misalignment issues. When teeth shift due to gaps left by missing teeth, it can lead to bite problems and increased risk of dental issues in the future.
- Durability: With proper care, dental bridges can last for many years, providing a long-lasting tooth replacement solution. Regular dental check-ups and good oral hygiene practices are essential to ensure the longevity of your dental bridge.
Fixed Dental Bridge vs. Traditional Dental Bridge
When considering dental bridges as a solution for missing teeth, patients often come across two primary options: fixed dental bridges and traditional bridges. Each type has its advantages and considerations, and understanding their differences can help you make an informed decision.
Fixed Dental Bridge
A fixed dental bridge, also known as a fixed partial denture, is permanently attached to the surrounding teeth or dental implants. The artificial teeth are held in place by dental crowns that are cemented onto the supporting teeth or implants. This type of bridge offers exceptional stability, comfort, and functionality. Since fixed bridges are securely affixed, they provide a natural feel and appearance, allowing patients to chew and speak with confidence. The procedure involves preparing the surrounding teeth for crowns, which may require more tooth reduction. However, fixed dental bridges are a long-lasting and reliable solution for replacing missing teeth.
Traditional Dental Bridge
Traditional bridges, as mentioned earlier, consist of artificial teeth suspended between dental crowns attached to adjacent healthy teeth or implants. Unlike fixed bridges, traditional bridges are not permanently bonded to the supporting teeth, making them easier to remove if needed. While traditional bridges are effective in restoring chewing function and aesthetics, they may require more maintenance than fixed bridges, as they are not as firmly anchored. Additionally, this type of bridge may necessitate more reshaping of the adjacent teeth to accommodate the dental crowns.
Dental Bridges Cost
The cost of dental bridges can vary based on factors such as the type of bridge, the materials used, and the complexity of the procedure. At URBN Dental, we offer affordable dental bridge solutions, and our team will work with you to explore financing options and dental insurance coverage to make your treatment as budget-friendly as possible. Investing in dental bridges is not only an investment in your oral health but also in your overall well-being and confidence.
Contact Us For Dental Bridge Houston Today
If you have missing teeth and are seeking a reliable solution to restore your chewing function and smile, dental bridges are an excellent choice. URBN Dental offers high-quality dental bridge treatment at multiple convenient locations across Houston. Our skilled team of dentists is committed to providing you with personalized care and exceptional dental services. With our state-of-the-art facilities and experienced staff, you can trust us to deliver outstanding results. Visit one of our URBN Dental locations in Uptown, Midtown, Montrose, City Center, Katy, East River, or Houston Heights, and let us help you regain your confident smile with dental bridges. Call us today to schedule your consultation and take the first step towards a healthier and more beautiful smile. Our friendly team will be delighted to assist you on your journey to optimal oral health. Remember, a complete and healthy smile starts with URBN Dental.