In This Article
If you suffer from teeth grinding or jaw pain, you may find relief with a night guard or mouth guard. At URBN Dental, we understand the discomfort and potential dental damage that can result from these conditions. We also help you find the right mouth guard or night guard for upper teeth and lower teeth pain caused by grinding teeth. We can some of the best month guards and dental night guard to protect teeth from grinding teeth. In this comprehensive article, we will explore the different types of night guards and mouth guards available, their benefits, and how they can help protect your teeth and alleviate grinding and clenching.
Understanding Teeth Grinding and Jaw Pain
Teeth grinding, also known as bruxism, is a common condition that affects many people during sleep. It involves clenching and grinding the teeth together, often unconsciously. Over time, this can lead to tooth wear, enamel erosion, tooth sensitivity, and even dental fractures. Additionally, teeth grinding can cause upper teeth pain, headaches, and muscle soreness. If you suffer from grinding teeth, we recommend a dental guard, night guard, or mouth guard for lower teeth or upper teeth. URBN Dental offers some of the best mouth guards in Houston, TX.
The Importance of Night Guards and Mouth Guards
Night guards and mouth guards are dental devices designed to protect your teeth and jaws from the harmful effects of teeth grinding. These custom-made appliances provide a cushioning effect that helps distribute the forces exerted during grinding, reducing the impact on your teeth and jaw joints.
Types of Night Guards and Mouth Guards
- Custom-Fit Night Guards: These night guards are made specifically for you. We take impressions of your teeth and create a custom-fit appliance that offers the most precise and comfortable fit. Custom-fit night guards are typically made of high-quality materials and provide superior protection and durability.
- Boil and Bite Style Guards: Boil and bite style guards are an over-the-counter option that can be purchased at drugstores or online. These guards are made from thermoplastic materials that soften when immersed in boiling water. After softening, you bite into the material, allowing it to conform to the shape of your teeth. While boil and bite style guards offer some level of customization, they may not provide the same level of fit and protection as custom-fit night guards.
- Hybrid Night Guards: Hybrid night guards combine the benefits of custom-fit and boil and bite guards. They are partially customizable and offer a better fit compared to boil and bite guards. Hybrid guards typically have a thermoplastic outer layer that can be molded using the boil and bite method, while the inner layer is made from a softer material that adapts to your teeth more precisely. This design provides improved comfort and protection for those with moderate to severe teeth grinding.
Mouth Guards for Sports and Protection
Apart from night guards, mouth guards are also essential for protecting your teeth during sports or physical activities. URBN Dental offers high-quality sports guards that are designed to safeguard your teeth and jaw from potential injuries. Whether you participate in contact sports or recreational activities, wearing a mouth guard is crucial to prevent broken teeth, dental implants, and other dental traumas.
- Custom Mouth Guards: Custom mouth guards provide the best fit and protection for athletes. They are made from a durable and resilient material that can withstand impact. Our dental professionals at URBN Dental will take impressions of your teeth to create a custom mouth guard that perfectly fits your mouth. This ensures maximum comfort and minimal interference with breathing and speaking while providing excellent protection.
- Boil and Bite Mouth Guards: Boil and bite mouth guards are also available for sports and recreational activities. They can be purchased at sporting goods stores or online. Similar to the boil and bite night guards, these guards are softened in hot water and then molded to fit your teeth. While they offer a better fit than stock mouth guards, they may not provide the same level of precision and protection as custom mouth guards.
Managing TMJ Disorders and Facial Pain
TMJ disorders are conditions that affect the temporomandibular joint, which connects your lower jaw to your skull. Symptoms of TMJ disorders include pain, headaches, sore jaw muscles, and difficulty in opening or closing the mouth. Dental night guards can be beneficial in managing these conditions by providing support and preventing teeth clenching during sleep.
If you suffer from TMJ disorders or experience pain, it is essential to consult with a dental professional at URBN Dental. We can evaluate your condition and recommend the appropriate treatment, which may include a custom night guard designed specifically for TMJ disorders. This type of night guard is crafted to provide optimal support for your lower jaw, alleviate pain, and promote proper jaw alignment.
Choosing the Ideal Night Guard
Selecting the appropriate night guard depends on various factors, including the severity of your teeth grinding, your comfort preferences, and your budget. Custom-fit night guards are highly recommended as they offer the best fit, comfort, and protection. They are designed specifically for your mouth, ensuring an optimal fit that minimizes discomfort and allows for proper breathing during sleep.
If you have a milder case of teeth grinding or prefer a more affordable option, boil and bite guards can be considered. However, it’s important to note that they may need to be replaced more frequently and may not provide the same level of protection as custom-fit night guards.
How Night Guards Help with Tooth or Jaw Pain
Night guards not only protect your teeth but also alleviate pain associated with bruxism. By providing a cushioning effect, night guards help reduce the pressure on your jaw joints, preventing excessive muscle strain and discomfort. They also help in maintaining proper jaw alignment, allowing your muscles to relax and minimizing the tension that contributes to facial pain.
Additional Benefits of Night Guards and Mouth Guards
Apart from protecting your teeth and alleviating facial pain, night guards and mouth guards offer several other benefits:
- Preventing Tooth Damage: Night guards act as a barrier between your upper and lower teeth, preventing the enamel from wearing down due to grinding.
- Reducing Headaches: Teeth grinding can lead to frequent headaches. By reducing the pressure on your teeth and jaw joints, night guards help alleviate headaches caused by bruxism.
- Managing Sleep Apnea: In some cases, teeth grinding is associated with sleep apnea. Night guards can be used in conjunction with other sleep apnea treatments to improve breathing and reduce snoring.
Visit URBN Dental for Custom Night Guards and Mouth Guards
If you are experiencing upper and lower teeth grinding or facial pain, it is essential to seek professional help. At URBN Dental, we offer custom night guards and mouth guards tailored to your specific needs. Our expert team will evaluate your condition, take impressions of your teeth, and create a custom-fit appliance that provides optimal protection and comfort.
Contact us at one of our convenient locations:
- Uptown Houston: 2400 Mid Ln. #350, Houston, TX 77027. Call us at 346-248-2704.
- Midtown Houston: 3510 Main St. Ste E, Houston, TX 77002. Call us at 346-815-9995.
- Montrose: 3201 Allen Pkwy, Houston, TX 77019.
- City Center: 803 W Sam Houston Pkwy N #124, Houston, TX 77024.
- Katy: 94 W Grand Pkwy S Suite 240, Katy, TX 77494.
- East River: 2921 Riverby Road, Suite 110, Houston, TX 77020.
- Houston Heights: 714 Yale St, Houston, TX 77007.
Don’t let teeth grinding and jaw pain affect your oral health and overall well-being. Visit URBN Dental today and let us help you find the right night guard or mouth guard to protect your teeth and provide relief from jaw pain.