Undergoing orthodontic treatment is a big step. There are many things to consider. Not only you have to modify your daily routine dietary habits, but you also need to plan your budget before you commit for this treatment. Fortunately, various types of orthodontic treatment options are available, which you can choose according to your budgetary constraints, esthetic requirements and expected the duration of treatment. Currently, the two most popular orthodontic treatment options available worldwide are fixed teeth braces and Invisalign® clear aligners.
Although both these treatment modalities have different modes of action, they both do the same thing. They realign your teeth and improve your facial esthetics. However, the difference lies in the cost of treatment. To know why braces and Invisalign® have different cost of treatment, you need to understand how they work.
Teeth Braces – Moves teeth
Teeth braces are among the most reliable and time-tested options for straightening crooked teeth. Unlike other orthodontic treatment options, dental braces can be used for the treatment of even the most complex orthodontic problems.
Teeth & Gums
- How Do Teeth Braces work? – Dental braces, also known brackets, are prepared from high-quality stainless steel alloys and are attached to the teeth by using a dental cement. Each tooth bracket contains small slots through which an orthodontic wire passes and is attached to the bracket by using rubber elastics. The wire is attached to the brackets in such a way that it directly exerts a force on the teeth, forcing them to re-align and move in the desired direction. Once the teeth have been realigned after wearing braces, the treatment is consolidated by using removable or fixed retainers for a few weeks. This is done to prevent the teeth from going back into their previous position.
- What are the Pros of Teeth Braces – Braces provide excellent results in terms of correction of even the most complex orthodontic problems. In addition, braces are best for non-compliant patients since they are fixed appliances and there is no risk of misplacing or forgetting to wear.
- What are the Cons of Teeth Braces? – Orthodontic wire requires frequent re-adjustment and tightening; therefore, you will have must visit once or twice in a month. Since there are chances of food impaction within the brackets, they also frequently require teeth cleaning to prevent gum disease or periodontal inflammation. Also, braces are not very comfortable to wear, at least for the initial few weeks, and can injure the lips and cheeks. Orthodontists recommend to avoid carbonated drinks as well as sticky and hard foods. Perhaps, the biggest disadvantage treatment with braces is their metallic appearance which affects facial esthetics.
How Much Are Braces?
The cost of treatment with braces depends on various factors such as the expected duration of treatment, as well as the type braces used for your treatment.
- How Much are Conventional Braces – these braces are made from metal alloys. As a result, they are quite conspicuous and are not preferred by many patients. The overall cost of treatment with conventional metallic braces can range between $3000-7000.
- How Much are Damon Braces – Damon braces are attached to the teeth like the conventional braces. However, unlike them, they contain a slide mechanism which allows the teeth to re-align naturally. Damon braces can cost you between $3000-8000.
- How Much are Ceramic Braces – to overcome the aesthetic problems associated with the metallic braces, ceramic braces were introduced. Since these are tooth-colored, they do not affect facial esthetics. However, they are more expensive than the conventional braces and are not suitable for the treatment of very complex orthodontic problems. Treatment with ceramic braces can cost between $4000-8000.
- How Much are Lingual Braces – these braces are specially designed so that they are attached to the inner surface of the teeth. As a result, they are not visible during smile or speech. However, they tend to reduce the tongue space and may cause difficulty during speech or eating. Lingual braces can cost between $8000-1000.
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]After a detailed clinical examination, our dentists are URBN Dental will first make a digital impression or regular impression of your teeth which will be fed into a special software. In some cases the digital image is not recommended due to many variables. Using the digital image, we will design a set of removable aligners so that each set of aligners will exert a force on your teeth and re-align them. After wearing your upper and lower aligners for two weeks, for at least 22 hours each day, you will switch to the second set of aligners which will continue to move your teeth. This routine will continue until the desired results have been achieved. At this stage, our dentists will provide you with Vivera retainers which are specifically designed for use with Invisalign® aligners.
Invisalign® Clear Aligners – Align technology
- What are the Pros of Invisalign® Clear Aligners? – Perhaps, the biggest advantage of Invisalign® aligners is that they do not affect your smile and facial esthetics. So, you don’t have to feel embarrassed whenever you smile or speak! Another advantage of Invisalign® aligners is that you can eat whatever you like. Simply remove your aligners before eating and put them back on after washing once you’re done. So, no change in eating habits required! Finally, since Invisalign® aligners are removable, they allow you to maintain better oral hygiene in comparison to the fixed teeth braces.
- What are the Cons of Invisalign® Clear Aligners? – Invisalign® aligners cannot be used for patients who are non-compliant, as their efficacy is dependent on the maximum number of hours they are worn each day. In addition, they can be damaged if they are accidentally dropped. Another drawback of Invisalign® is that it cannot be used for the treatment of very complex orthodontic problems.
How Much is Invisalign® ?
Being an esthetic orthodontic treatment option, its cost of treatment is generally higher than teeth braces. On average, treatment with Invisalign® aligners can cost you between $3000-8000.
When it comes to orthodontic treatment, there are numerous options available for you. You should choose an option that which is suitable according to your budget, health insurance plan coverage, timeline and esthetic needs. At URBN Dental, our orthodontic specialists will help you choose the option which is best for you. So, visit us today and let us give you a beautiful smile and perfect teeth.