In This Article
If you are missing one or more teeth, it can impact your self-confidence and oral health. But, fortunately, there are many options available to replace missing teeth, including partial implants dental bridges.
At URBN Dental, we offer a range of tooth replacement options, including dental implants, which are also called removable implant bridges or partial dentures. In this article, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about removable partial denture and implants.
What are Partial Implants?
Dental implants are artificial teeth that are designed to replace one or more missing teeth. Unlike traditional removable dentures, partial implants are permanently fixed in your mouth using an artificial tooth root that’s surgically implanted into your jawbone. This makes them more stable and secure than removable partials or dentures.
Dental implants consist of two parts: the artificial root, which is usually made of titanium, and the artificial tooth or teeth, which are attached to the root. Depending on how many teeth are missing, a single implant may be used to replace a single missing tooth or teeth missing or multiple implants may be used to replace several teeth.
Who is a Candidate for Partial Implants?
If you are missing one or more teeth, you may be a candidate for dental implants. However, there are a few factors that may affect your eligibility, such as the condition of your gums supporting teeth and bone tissue.
To be a candidate for dental implants, you need to have enough healthy bone and gum tissue in multiple teeth to support the implant. If you have suffered from gum disease or bone loss, you may need to undergo bone grafting or other procedures to prepare your mouth for implant placement.
Additionally, if you have remaining teeth adjacent teeth to the gap, they need to be healthy enough to support the implant. If they are decayed or damaged, they may need to be treated or extracted before implant placement.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Partial implants offer several unique benefits compared to full crowns other tooth replacement options:
- Natural Look and Feel: Partial implants are designed to look and feel like your natural teeth, so you can enjoy a natural smile and improved self-confidence.
- Improved Oral Health: Partial implants can help prevent bone loss and gum disease, which can occur when teeth are missing for an extended period.
- Durability: Implants offer a long-lasting tooth replacement option, as they can withstand years of use with proper maintenance.
- Improved Function: Partial implants allow you to eat and speak with confidence, as they are securely anchored in your jawbone.
- No Metal Clasps: Partial implants do not require metal clasps to hold them in place, which can be unsightly and uncomfortable.
Dental Implants Procedure
If you are considering partial implants, your treatment plan will depend on your unique situation. At URBN Dental, we create personalized treatment plans based on your oral health needs and goals.
The partial dental implant procedure typically involves several steps:
- Consultation: During your initial consultation, our dentist will examine your mouth and discuss your oral health history to determine if you are a candidate for partial implants.
- Implant Placement: The artificial root will be surgically implanted into your jawbone. After the procedure, a healing period is required to allow the implant to fuse with the bone tissue.
- Abutment Placement: Once the implant has fused with the jawbone, an abutment will be attached to the implant. This connects the artificial root to the artificial tooth or teeth.
- Artificial Tooth Placement: Finally, the artificial tooth or teeth will be attached to the abutment. The dentist will make sure that the new teeth match your natural teeth in size, shape, and color.
Dental Implants Maintenance
To ensure the long-term success of your partial dental implant, proper maintenance is essential. Here are some tips to care for your partial natural tooth implants:
- Brush and Floss Daily: It’s important to brush and floss your partial implants just as you would your natural teeth. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste to clean your teeth and gums, and floss carefully around the implants to remove food particles and bacteria.
- Attend Regular Dental Check-Ups: Regular dental check-ups are essential to maintain the health of your mouth and detect any issues with your dental implant or partial denture early. We recommend visiting your dentist every six months.
- Avoid Hard or Sticky Foods: While partial dentures are durable, they can still be damaged by hard or sticky foods. Try to avoid eating foods that could damage your implants, such as hard candies or ice.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking can increase your risk of gum disease and other oral health problems, which can impact the success of your partial dentures. We recommend quitting smoking before undergoing the procedure.
- Use a Mouthguard: If you participate in sports or grind your teeth at night, it’s important to wear a mouthguard to protect your partial denture implants from damage.
Cost of Partial Dentures
The cost of partial denture implants can vary depending on several factors, including the number of teeth being replaced, the type of implant used, and any additional procedures required, such as bone grafting.
At URBN Dental, we offer a range of tooth replacement options to fit your budget and oral health needs. We work with most major insurance providers and offer financing options to help make your dental care more affordable.
Recovery Time for Partial Dentures
The recovery time for partial dentures varies depending on your individual case. Most patients experience some swelling and discomfort after the procedure, which can be managed with pain medication and ice packs. You may also need to eat soft foods for a few days while your mouth heals.
After the implants have fully integrated with your jawbone, typically 3-6 months after the initial jaw placement, your dentist will attach the artificial teeth. From that point, you can enjoy a beautiful, fully functional smile.
Visit Your Nearest URBN Dental in Houston
Partial dentures are a great tooth replacement option for those with one or more missing teeth. They offer a natural look and feel, improved oral health, and long-term durability. At URBN Dental, we are committed to providing personalized care to meet your unique oral health needs.
If you’re interested in partial denture implants, or any other dental services, contact us at one of our convenient Houston locations:
- Uptown Houston: 2400 Mid Ln. #350, Houston, TX 77027
- Midtown Houston: 3510 Main St. Ste E, Houston, TX 77002
- Montrose: 3201 Allen Pkwy, Houston, TX 77019
- City Center: 803 W Sam Houston Pkwy N #124, Houston, TX 77024
- Katy: 94 W Grand Pkwy S Suite 240, Katy, TX 77494
- East River: 2921 Riverby Road, Suite 110, Houston, TX 77020
- Houston Heights: 714 Yale St, Houston, TX 77007
We look forward to helping you achieve optimal oral health and a beautiful smile.