A smile is one of the first things you notice about someone. A healthy, bright smile can convey confidence and approachability, while a smile marred by missing teeth can make a person look older and less sure of themselves. If you’re missing one or more natural teeth, dental implants offer a terrific solution for restoring your smile.
Dental implants are small titanium posts that are surgically placed in the jawbone in order to anchor a replacement tooth, or teeth. The titanium actually fuses with the jawbone, which makes for a very strong and stable foundation for your new teeth. Once the implants are in place, your dentist will simply attach the new teeth to the implants, and voila! You have a brand new smile!
There are many benefits to choosing dental implants to replace your natural teeth. Unlike dentures or bridges, dental implants will never slip or move around in your mouth, which can be both embarrassing and uncomfortable. Dental implants also help to preserve the jawbone and prevent further bone loss. In the long run, dental implants are more cost effective than other missing tooth replacement options.
If you’re considering dental implants to replace your natural teeth or missing tooth, be sure to consult with a qualified dental implant specialist to see if you’re a good candidate for the dental implant procedure. URBN Dental is led by highly-skilled dental implant specialists who use cutting-edge dental implant techniques to help you replace your natural teeth and restore the perfect smile.
You can find our dental implant dentists in Uptown Houston, Midtown Houston, or Montrose. Please schedule an appointment with your nearest dental implant dentist or oral and maxillofacial surgeons to explore your implant dentistry options in Houston.
What is Dental Implant Therapy?
Dental implants are a popular and effective treatment option for missing or damaged natural teeth. This type of therapy uses artificial teeth to replace natural teeth that have been lost or damaged. Dental implants are made from titanium, a metal that is compatible with human tissue. This makes dental implants a safe and effective treatment option for most people.
Dental implants are placed in the jawbone and then allowed to fuse with the bone over a period of several months. This process is called osseointegration. Once osseointegration is complete, the implant is then used to support a dental prosthetic (artificial tooth). Dental implants can be used to support a single tooth, a dental bridge, or a denture.
Dental implants are a popular treatment option because it is generally safe, effective, and long lasting. Additionally, dental implants look and feel like natural teeth. This can help to improve a person’s self-esteem and confidence.
Am I A Candidate for Dental Implants?
If you are considering dental implant therapy, it is important to consult with a dentist to see if you are a good candidate for this treatment. Not everyone is a good candidate for dental implants. Factors that can affect whether or not you are a good candidate for dental implants include the following:
- The condition of your jawbone: The jawbone must be strong and healthy in order to support dental implants. If you have a history of periodontal disease, you may not be a good candidate for dental implants. You may also need bone grafting to stimulate natural bone growth and improve your candidacy, so you have adequate bone at the implant site.
- The amount of bone available: There must be adequate bone available in the jaw to support the placement of dental implants. If there is not enough bone available, a bone graft may be necessary.
- The location of the missing tooth: The location of the missing tooth or teeth can affect whether or not you are a good candidate for dental implants. The back teeth (molars) are usually the best candidates for dental implants.
- Your overall health: Your overall health must be good in order for you to be a candidate for dental implants. If you have a chronic illness such as diabetes, you may not be a good candidate for dental implants.
- Your commitment to oral hygiene: You must be committed to practicing good oral hygiene if you want dental implants to be successful. This means brushing and flossing your teeth regularly and seeing your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings.
If you are a good candidate for dental implant surgery, the next step is to have the dental implant placed. This is usually done in a single surgical procedure. During this dental implant surgery, the dental implant is placed in the jawbone. Once the implant is in place, the jawbone is allowed to heal and fuse to the implant. This process can take several months.
After the dental implant has fused to the jawbone, the next step is to place the artificial tooth (prosthetic). This is usually done in a second surgical procedure. During this procedure, the dentist will make an incision in the gum tissue and attach the prosthetic to the implant.
Benefits of Replacing a Missing Tooth
A single tooth can make a big difference in your smile. When you have a missing tooth, it can cause your other teeth to shift out of place and can make it difficult to chew and speak. A dental implant is the best way to replace a tooth because it looks and functions just like a natural tooth. Here are some other benefits of replacing a tooth:
- Improved Oral Health: When you have missing teeth, it can be difficult to brush and floss properly. This can lead to gum disease and tooth decay. When you replace missing teeth, you can help improve your oral health.
- Enhanced Smile: If you are missing a tooth, it can affect your smile. When you have an implant, it will look just like your natural tooth, so you can smile with confidence.
- Improved Speech: If you are missing a tooth, it can affect your speech. When you have an dental implant, it will function just like your natural tooth, so you can speak clearly.
- Improved chewing: When you are missing a tooth, it can make chewing difficult. An implant will function just like your natural tooth, so you can eat all your favorite foods.
- Durability: A dental implant is a very durable solution for missing teeth. With proper care, it can last a lifetime. Regular dental visits are essential for dental implants.
- Convenience: A dental implant doesn’t require any special care. You can brush and floss it just like your natural teeth. However, brushing, flossing, and regular dental visits are essential after implant placement to prevent an implant failure.
Benefits of Dental Implants Over Dental Bridges & Removable Dentures:
- Dental implants are more durable and long-lasting than bridges and removable dentures.
- Dental implants feel and function just like your natural teeth.
- Dental implants are anchored into your jawbone, providing a more secure fit than bridges or dentures.
- Dental implants do not require special care or cleaning like bridges and dentures.
- Dental implants can help preserve your jawbone and prevent bone loss.
If you are missing one or multiple teeth, talk to your dentist about whether dental implants are the right choice for you.