Dental emergencies can happen at any time and often occur unexpectedly, causing severe pain or discomfort that requires immediate attention. Whether you are experiencing a chipped tooth, severe tooth pain, or a knocked-out tooth, it is important to seek prompt treatment from an emergency dentist. In this article, we will discuss the common dental emergencies that require urgent care, emergency dental treatments, and what to expect during your emergency dental visit.
What is a Dental Emergency?
A dental emergency refers to any dental problem that requires immediate attention and prompt treatment. The American Dental Association (ADA) defines a dental emergency as “potentially life-threatening and requires immediate treatment to stop ongoing tissue bleeding, alleviate severe pain or infection, or address a traumatic injury to the mouth or teeth.” Dental emergencies can range from a chipped tooth to a severe tooth infection, and it is crucial to seek prompt treatment to prevent further damage and complications.
Common Dental Emergencies
Here are some of the most common dental emergencies that require immediate attention:
- Severe Tooth Pain: Tooth pain can range from mild discomfort to excruciating pain. If you are experiencing severe tooth pain, it may be a sign of an underlying dental condition such as tooth decay, tooth infection, or abscessed tooth. It is important to seek emergency dental care to diagnose the problem and alleviate the pain.
- Chipped or Broken Tooth: A chipped or broken tooth can result from trauma to the mouth or biting down on a hard object. Depending on the severity of the damage, a broken tooth may require a dental crown or tooth extraction. It is important to seek immediate care to prevent further damage to the tooth and surrounding tissues.
- Knocked-out Tooth: If a tooth is knocked out due to trauma, it is essential to seek emergency dental care within 30 minutes to increase the chances of saving the tooth. Try to retrieve the tooth, rinse it with water, and place it in a container of milk or saliva to keep it moist until you can see an emergency dentist.
- Lost Filling or Crown: A lost filling or crown can expose the underlying tooth, causing sensitivity and discomfort. It is important to seek immediate care to prevent further damage to the tooth and surrounding tissues.
- Tooth Abscess: A tooth abscess is a serious dental infection that requires immediate attention. Symptoms include severe pain, swelling, fever, and difficulty swallowing. An abscessed tooth can spread to other parts of the body and cause life-threatening complications if left untreated.
- Broken Braces or Wires: Broken braces or wires can cause discomfort, pain, and even damage to other teeth. It is important to seek immediate care to prevent further damage and adjust the braces or wires to alleviate the discomfort.
What to Expect During Your Emergency Dental Visit
When you arrive at our emergency dental office, we will evaluate your condition and provide prompt treatment to alleviate your pain and prevent further damage. Depending on your dental emergency, we may perform a dental exam, take X-rays, or provide immediate treatment such as tooth extraction, root canal therapy, or medication to alleviate your pain and discomfort.
Our emergency dentists are highly trained and experienced in providing urgent dental care to patients of all ages. We understand the importance of prompt treatment and will work quickly to diagnose your condition and provide the appropriate treatment to restore your oral health.
Emergency Dental Services
At URBN Dental, we offer a wide range of emergency dental treatments to address various dental emergencies. Some of our emergency dental services include:
- Tooth Extractions: We may recommend tooth extraction if a tooth is severely damaged or infected and cannot be saved through other treatments.
- Root Canal Therapy: Root canal therapy is a common treatment for an abscessed tooth or severe tooth decay that has reached the nerve.
- Dental Crowns: Dental crowns are used to restore severely damaged or decayed teeth and protect them from further damage.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants are a permanent solution for missing teeth, and we offer same-day dental implants for eligible patients.
- Emergency Orthodontic Care: We offer emergency orthodontic care for patients experiencing discomfort or pain due to broken braces or wires.
When to Seek Emergency Dental Care
It is important to seek emergency dental care as soon as possible if you are experiencing any of the following dental emergencies:
- Severe tooth pain that is not relieved by over-the-counter pain medication.
- A knocked-out tooth or a tooth that has been partially dislodged.
- Uncontrolled bleeding from the mouth or soft tissues.
- A broken tooth or a tooth that has been chipped or cracked.
- A dental abscess or severe tooth infection.
- Broken braces or wires that are causing discomfort or pain.
- A lost filling or crown that is causing sensitivity or discomfort.
If you are experiencing a dental emergency, do not hesitate to contact us immediately. We offer same-day emergency dental appointments and walk-ins are always welcome.
Preventing Dental Emergencies
While dental emergencies can happen unexpectedly, there are steps you can take to prevent them from occurring. Here are some tips to maintain good oral health and prevent dental emergencies:
- Brush and floss your teeth daily to remove plaque and prevent tooth decay.
- Visit your dentist regularly for routine checkups and cleanings.
- Wear a mouthguard if you participate in contact sports to protect your teeth and mouth.
- Avoid chewing on hard objects such as ice, popcorn kernels, or hard candy.
- Do not use your teeth to open packages or bottles.
- Practice good oral hygiene habits and maintain a healthy diet.
Dental emergencies can be stressful and painful, but prompt treatment from an emergency dentist can help alleviate your pain and prevent further damage. At URBN Dental, we offer a wide range of emergency dental services to address various dental emergencies. If you are experiencing a dental emergency, do not hesitate to contact us immediately. We are here to provide the care you need when you need it most.
URBN Dental has state-of-the-art dental emergency clinics in Midtown Houston, Uptown Houston, and Montrose. If you’re looking for a local emergency dentist in the Greater Houston area, you should visit an emergency dentist near you at our locations. Our dental emergency room is available without prior appointments, so can visit us for a prompt, last-minute emergency dental appointment. Please schedule an appointment with our urgent care dentist.