Are you considering orthodontic treatment to straighten your teeth and achieve a beautiful smile? At URBN Dental, we offer a variety of orthodontic treatment options, including traditional metal braces and clear aligners such as Invisalign. In this article, we will explore the differences between traditional braces and Invisalign clear aligners, so you can make an informed decision about which treatment option is right for you.
Traditional metal braces have been a popular orthodontic treatment option for many years. They consist of metal brackets and wires that are attached to the teeth to gradually move them into proper position over time. The brackets are connected by a wire, which is tightened regularly to maintain consistent pressure on the teeth and promote tooth movement.
Traditional braces are effective in treating a wide range of orthodontic issues, including overbite, underbite, crossbite, and crowded teeth. They are also a more affordable treatment option than clear aligners and are often covered by dental insurance plans.
However, traditional braces have some drawbacks. They are very noticeable and can make you feel self-conscious about your appearance. The metal brackets and wires can also cause tooth soreness and discomfort, especially after adjustments. Additionally, traditional braces require frequent adjustments and can make it difficult to brush and floss your teeth properly.
Invisalign Clear Aligners
Invisalign clear aligners are a newer orthodontic treatment option that offer a more discreet and comfortable way to straighten your teeth. Invisalign aligners are made of clear, BPA-free plastic that fit tightly over your teeth, gradually shifting them into the proper position over time. The aligners are custom made for each patient based on digital scans of their teeth, and a new set of aligners is worn every few weeks to continue the tooth movement process.
Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible and do not interfere with your daily activities. They are removable, making it easy to brush and floss your teeth properly and eat your favorite foods without restrictions. Invisalign clear aligners are also a great option for people with busy lifestyles, as they require fewer appointments with the dentist or orthodontist.
Invisalign aligners are effective in treating mild to moderate orthodontic issues, such as gapped teeth, overbite, and underbite. However, they may not be suitable for more severe orthodontic issues.
Invisalign Treatment vs. Traditional Braces
When it comes to choosing between Invisalign clear aligners and traditional braces, there are several factors to consider, including treatment time, cost, and your individual needs and preferences.
- Treatment Time: Invisalign treatment typically takes less time than traditional braces, with an average treatment time of 12-18 months. However, the exact treatment time will depend on the severity of your orthodontic issues.
- Cost: The cost of Invisalign treatment is generally higher than traditional braces, but the exact cost will depend on the complexity of your treatment plan and your dental insurance coverage.
- Individual Needs and Preferences: Your individual needs and preferences should also be taken into account when choosing between Invisalign clear aligners and traditional braces. If you have a severe orthodontic issue, traditional braces may be the best option for you. However, if you prefer a more discreet and comfortable treatment option, Invisalign clear aligners may be the better choice.
At URBN Dental, our dental professionals are experienced in providing both traditional braces and Invisalign aligners to our patients. We will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that meets your individual needs and goals.
Invisalign Treatment Process
If you choose Invisalign clear aligners as your orthodontic option, the treatment process typically involves the following steps:
- Initial Consultation: During your initial consultation with one of our dental professionals, we will evaluate your teeth and discuss your treatment goals to determine if Invisalign treatment is right for you. We will take digital scans of your teeth to create a custom treatment plan.
- Custom Treatment Plan: Based on the digital scans of your teeth, we will create a custom treatment plan that includes a series of clear aligners. Each set of aligners will be worn for a few weeks before being replaced with the next set in the series.
- Wearing the Aligners: You will wear the clear aligners for 20-22 hours per day, removing them only to eat, brush, and floss your teeth. It is important to wear the aligners consistently for the treatment to be effective.
- Follow-Up Appointments: You will have regular follow-up appointments with us to monitor your progress and receive new sets of aligners as needed.
- Retainer: Once your Invisalign treatment is complete, we will provide you with a retainer to wear at night to maintain the proper alignment of your teeth.
Maintaining Good Oral Health During Treatment
Maintaining good oral health is important during orthodontics, whether you choose traditional braces or Invisalign aligners. Here are some tips to help you care for your teeth and gums during treatment:
- Brush and Floss Regularly: Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss once a day to remove food particles and plaque from between your teeth and around your braces or aligners.
- Watch Your Diet: Avoid hard, sticky, and sugary foods that can damage your braces or aligners and increase your risk of tooth decay.
- Attend Regular Check-Ups: Attend regular check-ups with your dentist or orthodontist to monitor your progress and ensure that your treatment is on track.
Invisalign Website and Consumer Guide
If you are interested in learning more about Invisalign aligners, you can visit the official Invisalign website for detailed information about how Invisalign works, the benefits of Invisalign treatment, and the treatment process.
In addition, the American Association of Orthodontists offers a consumer guide to orthodontics that provides valuable information about different types of orthodontic procedures, how to choose an orthodontist, and how to care for your braces or aligners.
At URBN Dental, we are committed to providing our patients with high-quality orthodontics to help them achieve a beautiful, healthy smile. Whether you choose traditional braces or Invisalign aligners, we will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that meets your individual needs and goals. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards a new smile.