What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry services. It’s an effective, non-invasive, and painless means of brightening the natural shade of your teeth without removing any of the dental surface or enamel. It doesn’t change the color of your teeth completely, but professional teeth whitening can brighten your smile by up to eight shades.
People opt for teeth whitening for various reasons. Most people don’t have brilliantly white teeth, but most people want that for themselves. Some of us have naturally yellowish teeth, and some of us achieve yellowed teeth through the natural aging process. Over time, the consumption of tea, coffee, red wine, and other such beverages also leads to the yellowing of teeth. Smoking can also stain and discolor your teeth.
Teeth whitening is a suitable treatment for people with extrinsically stained teeth, i.e., if you have yellow teeth due to years of accumulated stains. Professional teeth whitening can’t reverse intrinsic stains that you may have had since birth or the discoloration caused by the gradual wear and tear of the enamel. Your cosmetic dentist will examine your teeth to determine if you’re a suitable candidate for teeth whitening.
How to whiten teeth professionally?
Professional in-office teeth whitening is a simple procedure that concludes in 60 to 90 minutes. The dentist records the current shade of your teeth to mark the progress. The procedure starts with general teeth cleaning to remove all the accumulated plaque. The dentist will isolate the teeth from the surrounding gums, cheeks, lips, and tongue — this is done to protect the surrounding soft tissues.
The dentist will apply a bleaching component made of hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide over your teeth. Next, the dentist will use a curing light to activate the bleaching gel, which, in turn, will remove the surface stains from your teeth. After your teeth are sufficiently bleached, the dentist will apply fluoride gel over your teeth to reduce the sensitivity. You can leave the dental clinic and resume your regular activities immediately. Your teeth will appear up to eight shades brighter.
What are the different types of tooth whitening treatments?
- Custom-Fit Bleaching Trays: The dentist provides professional whitening gel and products with customized dental trays. You have to apply the whitening gel over the trays and wear them for a few hours every day. Your teeth will appear brighter in a few weeks.
- Whitening Strips: These are over-the-counter whitening strips attached over your teeth. You have to place one strip over the top teeth and the other strip over the bottom teeth. Your teeth will gradually appear brighter.
- Over-the-Counter Toothpaste: Whitening toothpaste contains special ingredients with bleaching properties. When applied over your teeth, they remove the surface stains to improve the brightness of your teeth.
- Professional Teeth Whitening: Professional in-office teeth whitening is a procedure wherein the dentist uses special curing lights to activate the whitening gel. The treatment is performed by a dentist and it produces immediate results. It’s the best type of tooth whitening treatment because you don’t have to wait for the results for several days or weeks.
Which is the best procedure to whiten and straighten teeth?
Professional teeth whitening is the best procedure to whiten your teeth. However, in-office teeth whitening can’t straighten your teeth. Invisalign is the best treatment for people with crooked or misaligned teeth. Invisalign aligners are transparent dental trays that apply pressure on your teeth to make them gradually move in the desired direction. Invisalign straightens your teeth in 6 to 18 months. You should ideally opt for teeth whitening after the Invisalign treatment.
However, if you want immediate results for which you don’t have to wait over a year, you can consider dental veneers. Porcelain veneers are tooth-colored and tooth-shaped chips attached to the front face of your teeth. They instantly improve your teeth’ overall appearance, shape, shade, and proportions. As such, dental veneers can instantly whiten and straighten teeth, or at least give the external impression of perfect teeth.
What are the 5 most famous cosmetic dentistry procedures?
- Teeth Whitening: Brightens your smile by several shades.
- Dental Bonding: Composite resin material is attached over the stains and chips on your teeth.
- Dental Veneers: Thin wafers of porcelain materials are attached over your teeth to cover all the stains, cracks, chips, gaps, and other anomalies.
- Dental Crowns: Porcelain caps are attached over your teeth to cover all surface anomalies and cosmetic concerns.
- Invisalign Aligners: Transparent aligners that gradually move your teeth in the desired direction to straighten your teeth.
What are the various features of cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry includes all services that address the shape, structure, position, or general appearance of your teeth. In some cases, cosmetic dentistry procedures may also provide functional benefits, such as Invisalign, but their primary goal is improving the appearance.
What are the benefits of cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry services address all the surface aesthetic concerns on your teeth. They give you the perfect set of bright, proportional, and straight teeth. As such, they improve your confidence, allowing you to smile more freely, which, in turn, improves your quality of life.
Where can I get the best teeth whitening services?
URBN Dental is known as one of the best cosmetic dentistry clinics for teeth whitening services. Our exceptionally talented cosmetic dentists carefully examine your teeth to recommend the ideal whitening services for your unique needs. For more information on cosmetic dentistry, please schedule an appointment with our cosmetic dentists today.